We understand that removing stubborn stains such as grime and mold seems impossible.
Sitting in your car or your living room, pouring over the sofa, using everything from bleach to saltwater to try and purge the stain. This is where steam cleaners come in.
Using a steam cleaner is one of the best methods of eradicating stains on your carpet. These high-powered hoover-shaped machines are very easy to use, utilizing super hot water and detergent to remove those stains that even the most vigorous hand scrubbing won’t.
There are such a wide variety of carpets and fabric surfaces out there, that it will be hard to know what works.
Sofas are very hard to clean as very often the surface is very malleable, whereas the surface of a car seat is very hard. Both pose their own challenges for cleaning.
But where can you find the best steam cleaners? What features do some of the best steam cleaners have to eradicate those stubborn coffee and wine stains? How much can you be expected to pay for a decent steam cleaner?
Well, if you are having trouble with those irremovable stains, then look no further, as we’ve got a list of some of the best steam cleaners currently available on the market. This list features some of the highest-rated products on Amazon, with literally thousands of users heaping praise upon these cleaning items.
We’ve also got a buyer’s guide that will help you to determine the good cleaners from the bad ones, as well as some frequently asked questions that will hopefully allay any concerns that you might have about spending money on one of these contraptions.
OUR TOP PICK
Our first steam cleaning mop is one of the best that money can buy, not only does it have a stand-up vertical mop function, but it also has a detachable handheld unit.
Whether it is glass, carpet, kitchen tiling, wood flooring or even shirts and trousers, you can be sure to get rid of those stubborn stains in next to no time - introducing the Steam Mop Cleaner 10-in-1 with Convenient Detachable Handheld Unit.
That’s right, you can practically clean your whole house with this one single item, there are no limits with this unit.
You can steam clean the curtains one minute, then refill it and give your favorite work shirt that quick yet thorough clean.
The ability to clean all surfaces is probably why so many people have rated this cleaner so highly.
This unit comes with plenty of attachments, including a straight nozzle that will help you get into those nooks and crannies, and a window squeegee that will enable you to thoroughly remove spatter and muck that will have accumulated on your glass over time.
There are numerous mop cleaning pads that come with this machine, giving you the ability to actually clean the head of your cleaning device to make sure that it’s ready for the next time that you start cleaning.
This unit is also very safe for your children and your pets, with built-in switch-off modes that won’t burn your child.
- The vertical and handheld options are perfect for cleaning every inch of your home, no matter what the materials.
- The range of surfaces that your steam cleaner can clean is remarkable - kitchen tiling, carpet, curtains, cotton shirts, wood flooring and sofa material. This is perfect for revitalizing every kind of surface.
- The price - considering all the options that you have available with this unit, the price is pretty amazing. This is ideal for housewives and families who are on a budget.
- This is very safe to use around your children and animals. When using this kind of device in a family setting, then safety is the most important thing to consider.
- Some users have complained that this device stops working after a few hours and have recommended that it only be used for smaller rooms.
This next unit uses a canister of pressurized steam to deliver a concentrated blast of steam that will give you everything you need to scrub clean surfaces as diverse as kitchen tiles, carpets, fabric curtains and even automobiles.
This is an extremely heavy-duty cleaner, so if you are struggling to shift those stains, then we would certainly recommend this unit - introducing the McCulloch MC1375 Canister Steam Cleaner.
This steam cleaner works with a wide range of devices, including ceramic tiles, grouting, laminated wood and granite.
There are plenty of accessories and nozzles that you can use to adapt your steam cleaner for a whole host of different cleaning jobs, whether it’s purging the sofa of stains or vanquishing ketchup from your curtains.
The attachments on this steam cleaner include the mop attachment, a scrubbing pad, some nylon brushes and a squeegee.
These things connect to a very spacious water tank that can hold over a gallon of fresh water. It also has a 9-foot cleaning hose that will help when you are cleaning the car in the driveway.
- This steam cleaner gives you a wide range of cleaning options, making it ideal for a large family household with lots of children and pets that cause plenty of stains.
- This will clean a wide range of surfaces, whether it is granite or fabric, you can be sure that you’ll get rid of that stubborn wine splash or that melted chocolate stain.
- This steam cleaner comes with over 18 different accessories, including a steam jet nozzle, extension wands, measuring cups, squeegees, a triangle brush as well as plenty of utility brushes.
- The temperature and water pressure of this steam cleaner is very high, giving you all the force and heat that you need to eradicate those stains that just don’t want to shift.
- Some users have complained that this steam cleaner loses pressure even after a few seconds.
This next steam mop is perfect for sanitizing most surfaces, making it ideal if you are planning on using it in a restaurant environment.
This can kill up to 99% of bacteria, which is exactly what you want to keep your residential or commercial kitchen fresh and clean - introducing the Bissell Power Fresh Steam Mop.
This steam will be fully heated in just under 30 seconds, which is ideal for those homeowners who just want quick spruce before they head out to work or before they come home from school.
This unit works wonderfully at sanitizing hard granite floors and kitchen tiles, producing a continuous supply of steam that is the ideal temperature for blitzing your shiny surfaces.
This will be very important if you have guests over frequently and want to give off a good impression.
- This steamer has three settings, low, medium and high, giving you that extra flexibility when it comes to eradicating stubborn stains without expending too much energy or water.
- Thus unit boasts that it can eliminate 99.9% of stains, so if you have a commercial kitchen, then you can make sure that it’s sanitized before breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- This has a flip-down scrubber that you can use to remove even the most stubborn stains.
- This has a microfiber soft and scrubby pad that are both great for removing grouting stains, which can be some of the more stubborn.
- This steam cleaner has a lot more difficulty with carpet surfaces, so if you want a steam cleaner that is suitable for every room of your house, we’d recommend that you search for one with carpet and fabric cleaning capabilities.
This next cleaner is a very interesting-looking unit, it has a cube-like base that is very compact and won’t take up too much space in your kitchen or closet area.
This is perfect if you own a smaller apartment and want to maximize on space but you still want a cleaner that is going to remove stubborn stains - introducing the Dupray Neat Steam Cleaner.
This steam cleaner comes with a 17 set accessory kit, giving you everything from a microfiber cloth and nylon brushes to wear away dried stains like wine and spaghetti.
You can also fix any regular towel to the head of this cleaner, which will definitely save you money on buying more from the manufacturer.
The hub of this unit has a retractable handle that makes it much easier to carry between rooms. This is a decent unit for a smaller apartment, as it definitely won’t take up too much space in your closet.
You can clean your car seat, your window sill or your kitchen floor with this steamer, it does not discriminate between surfaces.
The nylon brushes are perfect for getting the grouting in your kitchen back to its shiny original white color.
- The accessories - from nylon brushes to detachable kitchen towels, you can fix plenty of attachments to the head of this unit to give every nook and cranny that impeccable scrub.
- This is a great compact cleaner for a smaller apartment.
- There are plenty of cleaning heads that you can attach to the end of this retractable mop. This will save you a lot of money having to buy additional heads from the manufacturer.
- You can clean in between the ribbed areas of fabric car seats, giving you that luxurious feeling in your car between long-distance drives.
- This unit does not have the versatility of some of the other units on this list. It won’t be suitable for anyone who has multiple rooms that they’ll want to be cleaned with one tool.
This next unit is another that combines a handheld unit with a vertical one, giving you the ability to tackle stains without having to bend over, which is very useful for users with mobility issues.
The manufacturer claims that this unit can eradicate a high percentage of bacteria, perfect for commercial kitchen use - introducing the Shark Handheld Cleaners Steam Mop.
You can discharge however much steam that you need using this handy trigger, having control over the heat and amount of water that you intend of using.
Having this ecologically friendly model will really appeal to those users who want to save on electricity and water.
This steam mop has a double-sided cleaning surface, which will give you that additional few hours of cleaning time.
This also comes with a lengthy cord that you can use to trail through all the different rooms in your house.
You can reuse and rewash the heads on this mop, again saving you money on having to buy new ones.
- This mop comes with a trigger-style button that you can use to control the amount of steam that you generate, making it ideal for saving water and giving you that thorough clean.
- This mop head has claimed that it will eradicate a large portion of the bacteria on your flooring. This will be perfect for a busy kitchen environment.
- This is designed to tackle hardwood flooring, with nylon nozzles that will enable you to get right in between the grouting in your bathroom or kitchen area.
- The length of the cord is perfect for giving you the option of cleaning through each room in your house, so if you are looking for that corner-to-corner wipe, then this is the steamer for you.
- Much like our previous unit, this one will have problems with fabric and carpeted flooring. If you want something for all the various terrain in your house, then we’d recommend getting a more versatile steamer.
This one is an improvement of the McCulloch Deluxe 1375, with a water heating capacity of around 200-degrees, giving you more than enough to clear grime and other stubborn stains from a wide range of surfaces.
This has plenty of volume and a wider head that will allow you to clean plenty of surface area - introducing the McCulloch Deluxe Canister Steam Cleaner.
This unit has a large half-gallon tank of water, so if you want to get your kitchen clean in one single swipe, then this is the unit for you.
It has plenty of accessories with 2 hours of continuous usage time with a tank that heats up quickly.
This McCulloch has a moderate amount of pressure, allowing you to clean not only the surface of your carpet but also your dirty gardening equipment and even the hull of your boat.
This has a sizable 64-ounce water tank that will give you upwards of 120 minutes of continuous pressure.
There are 23 accessories with this mop head, including a squeegee, triangle brush, a large nylon brush, scrub pads and plenty of utility brushes.
This has a high water pressure of 200 degrees, which will be able to handle all but the toughest stains.
- The range of accessories - with 23 brushes of varying different sizes, you can clean in various different nooks and crannies, including stubborn grouting and tiles.
- This has plenty of water, heating and pressure to blast dried wine stains and dirt from the underside of your kitchen tiles.
- This has an 18-foot power cord and a 10-foot steamer hose to enable you to work your way through the whole house.
- You can sanitize any surface with a high-intensity blast of steam and water, making it ideal for any working kitchen where hygiene is paramount.
- As with our last two steam cleaners, this unit does not perform that well on carpet flooring, meaning that tackling the floor in your living room or bedroom will be difficult.
This next steam cleaner also comes with quite a large water tank, giving you the ability to be able to clean for a lot longer.
This will help you clean upholstery as well as carpets, and is probably the best steam cleaner for the inside of your car - introducing the PureClean Steam Cleaner.
You can clean wool carpets with this steam cleaner, which is one of the toughest surfaces to blitz, especially if it’s been affiliated with wine that has been left over the source of a few days.
This unit is also vertical, making it very easy going on your back, ideal if you suffer from mobility issues.
This has a very innovative V-shaped head that can be used to negotiate around many hard-to-reach corners.
This comes with an 18-piece accessory set that is perfect for both indoor and even outdoors cleaning.
Judging by the thousands of positive reviews that this cleaner has received, it is obviously a product that has proved itself time and time again.
- The head of this steam mop will be able to scrub clean most surfaces, whether it’s ceramic tile, laminated flooring, cotton and wool furniture as well as eradication the grime from your kitchen windows.
- This unit comes with 18 accessories including a nylon nozzle and a squeegee that will help you clean not just the windows but any stained filler on the outer edge.
- The temperature and water pressure of this steam cleaner is very hot, giving you exactly the right pressure that you need to remove any stubborn stains.
- The various different types of scrubbing surfaces will give you the maximum amount of control over how much water, heat and energy - both from your cleaner and yourself - that you expend on each different stain.
- Some users have complained that this steamer cannot get to the right temperature to remove some of the more stubborn and dried stains.
This next mop unit is one that can scrub more than just floors, it comes with a built-in handheld steamer that will allow you to reach windows as well as the skirting boards under your ceiling.
This unit comes with a retractable, flexible hose that you can wield around any tight corner - introducing the Light N’ Easy Steam Mop Cleaner.
This is perfect for anyone that is using this steam mop for light cleaning jobs that you can use to soak up some of the lighter stains that can accumulate in your garage or in the kitchen area.
This is great for wiping down and soaking up stains from a wide variety of surfaces and fluids - whether it’s mud on the carpet, wine on the walls or gravy on the beige curtains, you can be sure that these items will be cleaned in no time at all.
There are three steam cleaning levels that will give you maximum control over your heat and water volume.
- One the lowest level of cleaning setting, you can get around 25 minutes of continuous cleaning. This is perfect for tackling lighter stains.
- This has detachable microfiber pads, which you can easily pop in the wash after use. This is perfect if you want to save time, water and heating.
- This steam mop has a tank that heats up in just 30 seconds, with steam production that gives you consistent flow for around half an hour.
- The accessories - you have plenty of extendable nozzles and brushes that you can either use to remove stains from the tiniest of surfaces or take off mild stains across broader surfaces.
- Some users have complained that the towel on the bottom of the mop head is not held in place that tightly and is too thin for absorbing excessive stains.
In terms of quality and sheer range of features, we have saved the best until last. This mop is something that only the hardcore house cleaner will want.
It claims that it can remove bacteria such as e. Coli, coming with a tank that heats up in under 20 seconds and weighs in at only 5 pounds - introducing the O-Cedar Microfiber Steam Mop.
This tool can dispatch with most stains quickly and efficiently, giving you everything that you need for a deep clean that takes hardly any time at all.
It is adapted especially for use with harder flooring, although you can use it to quickly get rid of stubborn carpet stains.
The sturdy triangle mop head is designed to be able to clean in those hard-to-reach corners.
It comes with a detachable microfiber head that will attract dust, dirt and other bacteria like a moth to the flame. You can adjust the steam levels of this head with a toggle switch in the handle.
- The triangle head of this mop is very flexible and you can get it in many corners, as well as nice and close to skirting boards, which are often harder places to clean.
- You can remove the microfiber mop head of this cleaner, quickly cleaning it in the washing machine and using it again.
- You can adjust the settings of this steam mop so you can have optimum control over the amount of steam that you want to use. One of the things you won’t want to do is waste a lot of money on electricity when cleaning your floor.
- The refill pads on this mop absorb very quickly and easily, meaning that your kitchen tiles will dry a lot quicker and cause far fewer slippages.
- Some people have complained that the longevity of this model is not what the manufacturers have stated. The heating coils tend to burn out after just a few months.
Best Steam Cleaner Buying Guide
When it comes to purchasing your next steam cleaner, you’ll want to make sure that it has all the necessary features and materials that you’ll need to eradicate the widest variety of stains.
You’ll want to consider things like how much energy your steamer is going to use, how much chemical waste there is after each use and how much mess it is going to make in your kitchen or bathroom.
Here is a list of things that you’ll need to bear in mind:
Does It use Chemicals When Cleaning?
Most steam cleaners are designed to specifically use only boiling hot water and steam to eradicate the stubborn stains in your home or car.
They eliminate the need to use corrosive chemicals that might bleach or damage your tiles after prolonged use.
Steam cleaners are also the safest option for a family home, as you won’t want to run the risk of your child coming into contact with bleach after you have vigorously mopped the floor.
Does A Steam Cleaner Cause Mess?
Having a mop bucket with excess chemical spillage on your floor is certainly not desirable. Mopping your floor this way will cause streaks and might leave your floor in a worse state than before you started cleaning it.
With a steam cleaner, you can control the amount of water that reaches your mop head, combining it with a temperature-controlled level of hot water for that precision cleaning ability. A steam cleaner is very simple and effective to use.
Does It Kill Bacteria And Germs?
Steam is very hot and will dispatch with germs very quickly, making them perfect for use in commercial kitchens where cleanliness is of the utmost importance.
Preventing the spread of germs is the most important task of any chef or kitchen cleaner.
Will A Steam Cleaner Save You Money?
A steam cleaner might be quite expensive initially, but this should be seen as an investment.
You’ll be spending a lot less money on refill pads and cleaning fluid, as most of these steam cleaners have washable heads and don’t require additional chemicals.
How Fast Is Your Steam Cleaner?
The steam that is produced by your cleaner is effective for removing stains at a super-fast rate.
This will cut down your cleaning chores in a record amount of time and help you to power through your day.
What To Look For In A Steam Cleaner
Here are the essential features that you’ll be looking for in your next steam cleaner:
- How much of your surface does it clean? - There’s a radical difference between whether your steam mop can simply clean your floor or whether it can clean curtains, walls and skirting boards too. The larger surface areas you can clean, then the more you’ll be looking to pay for your steamer.
- What canister type does it take? - You’ll need to figure out whether your tank is a continuous-fill model or a simple boiler mechanism. The second model means that it has two tanks, so that you won’t have to refill after using the first one, as a second is on the way.
- How Many Accessories And Attachments Does It Have? - The more versatile the cleaner, then the more accessories that it has for you and your cleaner.
- How High Is The Temperature And Water Pressure? - The hotter the tank in your steamer, then the hotter the steam that will be produced. This will give your steamer the ability to be able to sanitize a wide portion of the surface area.
Types Of steam Cleaners
Luckily for you, there are plenty of breeds of steam cleaner out there for you to choose from, so that if whether you want something that will deep clean your entire house or just something to keep the kitchen floor looking spotless, then there’ll be something for everyone.
- Steam mops - this one is a vertical unit that looks not unlike a regular vacuum cleaner and can be operated in much the same way. There will be a water tank housed in the handle that you can control with a simple switch in the handle. In the head of the mop, there is usually a removable pad that you can put in the washer.
- Handheld Steam Cleaners - as we have seen above, these units usually come as part of a steam cleaner combination kit, although you can get some standalone handheld steamers. These units are renowned for their portability and are best for cleaning upholstery and vertical curtains.
- Canister Steam Cleaners - This is often called a cylinder steam cleaner, and the key differential between this and a regular steamer is the water tank, which is often separate from the cleaning hose. The tank is much larger than the one you can get housed in the body of the steamer itself.
- Vapor Steamers - These are also very similar to the standard steam cleaner, although what makes them different is the amount of steam that they produce. These steamers create dry steam that means that very soon after your water comes into contact with the tiling, it evaporates. This will cut down on the time that you have to wait for the floor to dry.
Even if most of these steamers have been designed with the optimum amount of safety features, you can be sure that you’ll need to stay safe when working with boiling water and intense steam.
Both of these can significantly damage the skin of the user if you haven’t taken the necessary safety precautions.
We would recommend that you wear safety goggles and gloves when operating your steamer. This will be especially important if you are cleaning a wider area of flooring. You should also wear long jeans or trousers to stop the hot water from scalding your legs.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Steam Cleaners Compatible With Tap Water?
We would recommend that if you’re going to use tap water with your steamer, that you opt for distilled or filtered water.
This is because the mineral content of a lot of tap water can start to calcify the inside of your machine.
Are Steam Cleaners Compatible With Soap Or Detergent?
Traditionally, most steamers are designed to be used with water alone.
If you add chemicals to the mixture later on, then you can expect the inside of your machine to become gummed up or corroded.
Are Steam Cleaners Good For Removing bacteria?
When compared to the average household mop, then you can be sure that a steamer is the most superior item to use for disinfecting flooring, especially in the kitchen and bathroom areas.
If you use a standard mop, then the chances are that it will accumulate germs if it is not cleaned properly after use.
One of the ingenious things about a steam cleaner is the fact that the heating unit cleans itself over time.