If you have children and pets inside your home it is likely that your floors are subject to plenty of unwanted marks and stains.
While some can simply be cleaned using a wipe others are more severe and if they aren’t dealt with quickly they can progress into much more stubborn and difficult to remove marks.
Floors that aren't cleaned regularly can soon become a feeding ground for bacteria and germs.
Do these issues sound familiar to you? If so a steam cleaner could be the solution. As heat helps to eradicate germs and bacteria, the flooring inside your home will be looking as good as new in no time.
A steam cleaner combines the functionality of a mop and heat steamer simply using water without any chemical cleaning products.
Most units are generally safe for vinyl and linoleum flooring, ceramic and porcelain tiles, and certain types of hardwood flooring.
A product of this kind is likely to be an essential and valuable addition to your cleaning gear. We have browsed the market and selected our top picks of the best steam mops for you below.
OUR TOP PICK
OUR TOP PICK
The Shark steam mop will deliver an effortless cleaning experience simply using water and no chemicals.
As a highly functional cleaning product, it is going to be effective in removing grease and grime marks within seconds without leaving unwanted residue on the surface.
Featuring an XL water tank you can clean multiple floor surfaces without having to pause at regular intervals to refill it.
However, when more water is required, the tank can simply be detached, filled, and then reinserted onto the frame. Because of this, it is going to be straightforward to use.
As a lightweight mop, it has been designed with the user in mind. Forget having to lug around a weighty product as this can be lifted and maneuvered with ease.
Aside from this, the slim design also means that it is going to be easy to store in between uses as it can be stored inside your cleaning cupboard without consuming a great deal of room.
It can also be locked into an upright position so it is capable of standing alone without falling over.
- Affordable - this mop is good value for money and ideal for those who are on a budget.
- Cord Length - the length of the cord provides plenty of flexibility when it comes to maneuvering the mop and accessing hard-to-reach areas.
- Steam output - this mop disperses an impressive amount of steam which will be effective in breaking down the dirt and dust particles.
- Rotating head - this makes it easy to maneuver around different obstacles e.g table and chair legs.
- No power buttons - this steam mop doesn’t have a power button and instead functions via the power socket which some may find inconvenient.
As a brand, BISSELL is recognized for producing high-quality cleaning products and appliances.
The BISSELL PowerFresh Steam Mop effortlessly cleans and sanitizes sealed hard floors, simply using steam without chemicals.
Although it doesn't use any chemicals, you are provided with spring breeze fragrance disks which will add a fresh and pleasant scent to your clean floors.
The scrubber can be flipped down to clean through tough to remove stains on hard floor surfaces. This hard scrubbing pad can also be interchanged with a soft pad, to accommodate the cleaning requirements of different surfaces.
It also features multiple steam settings each of which are displayed on the body of the unit, thus ranging from low, medium, or high and these can be altered depending on the severity of the stain that you are trying to remove.
Select the low setting for lighter messes and the highest setting to tackle more severe messes and stains.
Courtesy of the swivel head, this mop can easily be maneuvered to clean around any obstacles and to access hard-to-reach areas.
The cord measures 23 foot and as such you are provided with plenty of leeway when navigating the product to reach the area that requires cleaning.
- Removable water tank - allows for easy refilling at the sink. Once filled it can then be reattached to the unit with ease.
- SmartSet Steam Control - these settings make it easier to alter the flow of steam to clean different types of marks and surfaces.
- 2 Year Warranty - This policy covers you if you experience any issues with the quality or functionality of the steam mop.
- Ready to use in less than a minute - You don't have to spend long waiting for the water to heat up before using the mop and you are alerted when the water has reached a usable temperature.
- Durability - the quality of the materials could be improved as some customers reported that it was prone to breaking following a couple of months of use.
The PurSteam Steam Mop is a 10 in 1 unit that takes the hassle out of cleaning.
While it can be used in its standard form to clean floors throughout your home, it can also be used as a handheld cleaner which is great for cleaning your stairs, reaching hard-to-access areas, or even cleaning furniture.
Alternatively, it can be used as a steam cleaner or a garment cleaner. Regardless of what it is that you need to clean, this steam mop is likely to be more than effective in fulfilling multiple purposes.
If you have children and pets inside your home, you needn't worry about the safety of this steam mop as it doesn't use any harsh chemicals.
The steam alone is considered to be effective in removing 99.99% of germs. You are also provided with a special surface scrubber that is going to thoroughly clean the surfaces to ensure that any dirt and bacteria are removed.
The tank has a 340ml capacity which will last for approximately 25 minutes when used on the lowest setting and half of this time when used on the highest setting.
The unit displays three adjustable modes which can be altered according to the amount of steam that you require.
If you are dealing with a minimal amount of mess, you will likely require the lightest setting, however, if the stain is more severe, you will need to opt for the highest setting as this will disperse a more intense amount of steam to tackle the issue.
- 2 year warranty - when you purchase this mop the brand is responsible for rectifying any issues that you experience.
- Quick heat-up time - the steam heats up and is ready to use in 30 seconds so you don't have to spend a lot of time waiting for it.
- Multifunctional - It can be used on a range of surfaces and isn't solely restricted to being used on the floor.
- Pivoting Mop Head - This makes it easier to maneuver the mop around different areas and obstacles.
- Cord Length - The cord is a little short and this can make it harder to reach surfaces that are at more of a distance from the plug point.
Delivering a powerful cleaning performance, the Shark Hard Floor Steam Mop incorporates steam blaster technology distributing an even burst of steam to ensure that you can clean a wide area effectively.
If you are struggling to remove stubborn stains, the steam blaster function will disperse a quick burst of intense steam to target these areas and loosen the tough dirt particles.
Using this steam mop is a straightforward process, simply use the cleaning pad to clean the problem area, and once done you can simply press the button on the unit of the cleaner to release the mop.
It also features 3 steam control settings which allow you to alter the intensity of the steam output depending on how dirty the surface is.
For light cleaning tasks, you can opt for the lowest setting, and for more intense marks and stubborn stains you can use the higher setting.
This steam mop comes with double-sided grip pads so you can use both sides if needed before removing it for cleaning.
Both sides incorporate grips strips that engage with the floor surface to ensure that any dirt and dust particles are targeted and removed for a thorough clean.
After use, they can be machine washed to maintain the quality and ensure that they are suitable for reuse in the future. This mop is also designed with a 220mm tank that is likely to accommodate the majority of cleaning tasks.
When necessary, it can then be removed from the body of the unit and emptied with ease.
- Ease of use - this steam mop is easy to set up and will be ready to use within minutes.
- Lightweight - As a light mop, it is easy to maneuver and carry to different areas of your home when necessary.
- 1 Year Warranty - This ensures that you are covered against any defects that affect the steam mops quality or functionality.
- Cord Length - This steam mop has an 18ft cord which provides you with plenty of leeway to reach difficult areas and flooring that isn’t situated close to the plug point.
- No Power Switch - This steam mop isn’t designed with a power button so you have to operate it via the wall plug which some may find inconvenient.
If you are looking for a lightweight cleaning appliance, look no further than the LIGHT N' EASY Steam Mop.
Weighing a minimal 3.5 pounds it is very easy to handle and maneuver. Because of this, you can use it for tackling severe cleaning tasks without tiring easily.
Suitable for a variety of floor surfaces, this unit can be used on tiles and stone, laminate and hardwood as well as carpet too.
As a manual mop, it provides the user with control over how much steam is released. When your hand disengages from the button on the handle, the output of steam will stop.
It also comes with three different settings so you can choose how intense the output of steam is depending on the surface that it is going to be used on and the severity of the mess.
Hardwood floors prefer a steady release of steam as this will protect the surface from becoming easily damaged.
Impressively, the instant heat technology means that this steam mop is ready to use within 20 seconds.
It is also compatible with microfiber pads which absorb moisture and penetrate the floor surface to remove deep stains. Because of this, you will be welcoming clean floors in no time.
- Affordable - retailing within a lower price range, it is a great value option for those who are on a budget.
- Cable Length - This steam mop is designed with a 20ft cable which provides the user plenty of flexibility when using this mop to reach surfaces at a distance from the plug point.
- 1 year warranty - it is backed by a 1 year warranty so you are covered by the brand if you are dissatisfied with the functionality or quality of the steam mop.
- Ease of use - this steam mop is easy to set up and is ready to use within seconds courtesy of the fast heat-up time.
- Small Water Tank - the size of the water tank can make it difficult to use this mop for deep cleaning as it tends to run out rather quickly.
When you have pets, they will inevitably leave a trail of dirt behind them at some point. If this is the case, you will benefit from purchasing a steam mop that is specifically intended for removing pet marks and messes.
The BISSELL Symphony Pet Steam Mop is a strong contender. It comes with two types of cleaning pads, those that are disposable so you can throw away unpleasant pet messes after cleaning, and microfiber cleaning cloths that can be reused for everyday cleaning purposes in the future.
As for surface compatibility, this unit can be used on hardwood, ceramic, granite, marble, and linoleum floors.
As a 2 in 1 unit, it is going to mop and vacuum your floors at the same time and because of this, you can be sure that all stubborn messes and dust and dirt particles will be removed.
The cyclonic vacuum will pick up the pet fur and other particles to ensure that they do not clog up the mops components.
The dry tank technology will also ensure that the vacuum tank remains free of moisture so that it is easy to clean and remove the debris.
After use, the tank can easily be emptied, simply requiring a one handed interaction with the base of the tank. For this reason, you don't have to worry about your hands getting dirty in the process.
It can also be used with scented disks to add a refreshing smell to your cleaned flooring although they do require an additional purchase.
- Accessories - You are provided with a selection of accessories so you have everything that you require to begin using the mop.
- Disposable Pads - these pads can be used to clean up pet messes and then thrown away after use so you don't have to face them again in the future.
- Assembly - This steam mop and vacuum is easy to assemble and will be ready to use within a matter of minutes.
- Cleaning - the vacuum tank is easy to empty and the filter is easy to clean so maintaining the quality of this product is a manageable task.
- Pivoting head - unfortunately, this stop mop doesn't have a pivoting head and because of this, some may find it difficult to maneuver around objects such as tables and chairs.
Are you looking for a steam mop that is going to clean your floors with minimal hassle? If so, look no further than the O-Cedar Microfiber Steam Mop.
Suitable for the majority of hard floor surfaces it can be used to clean tile, wood, vinyl, and laminate and will effectively remove dirt and grime without using any chemicals.
Used alongside microfiber steam cloths which will absorb dirt, dust, and bacteria, this appliance delivers an impressive cleaning performance achieving optimal results.
Aside from this, the absorbent properties of these pads will ensure that the floors dry quickly too and there isn’t a lot of moisture or residue left behind.
The unit of this steam cleaner has a dial that displays the different steam settings. Because of this, it is easy to alter the functionality of the mop according to different floor surfaces and the severity of the stains.
Weighing a minimal 5ibs, this is a lightweight mop that is going to be easy to lift and carry to different areas of your home. You can also tackle more severe cleaning tasks without enduring hand or wrist fatigue caused by a heavier unit.
Designed with a triangular shaped head, you can clean corners and hard-to-reach areas with ease. It also adopts an effective swivel motion, effortlessly gliding along the floor.
- Washable Microfiber pads - As they are suitable for machine washing it is easy to preserve the quality so that they are suitable for many uses in the future.
- Quick Heat Up Time - Taking only 20 seconds for the water to heat up, you do not have to wait long to begin using this mop.
- Lifetime Guarantee - The brand offers a lifetime guarantee so there is help available should you experience any issues when using this mop.
- Long Cord - The cord measures 19ft long and because of this, you are provided with plenty of flexibility to access hard-to-reach areas and surfaces that are a slight distance from the plug point.
- Deep Cleaning - Although this is a great option for light cleaning tasks, it isn't as effective in tackling severe messes that require a deep clean.
Another offering from BISSELL is the PowerFresh Slim Hardwood Steam Mop. As a powerful cleaning product, it claims to remove 99.99% of germs and bacteria using steam alone and no chemicals.
While it is predominantly intended for cleaning floors, as a 3 in 1 product, it can be used for multiple other cleaning purposes.
It can be used as a handheld steam cleaner for upholstery, kitchen appliances, bathroom sinks, and ovens. Simply attach the flat scraper tool provided and it will effectively remove tough stains.
It also comes with a brush tool that can be used on surfaces in need of a thorough clean. The small angular attachment is great for reaching intricate areas and corners.
If this wasn't impressive enough, it can function as a clothing and garment steam cleaner too.
We particularly like how each of the tools can be attached to the handheld cleaner or the extension tube so you can select the most appropriate base depending on the angle and height that you need the appliance to reach.
Regardless of what it is that you need to clean, it is more than likely that this mop is going to fulfill the purpose.
The robust handle of the steam cleaner can be used to store the tools and attachments so that it is easier to transport them to different areas of your home. It also ensures that you know where all of the components are in between uses.
Impressively, this steam mop has a generous 25 foot cleaning cord which provides plenty of flexibility making it easier to reach surfaces that are located at a distance from the plug point.
- Limited 2 year warranty - this cleaning product is covered by a generous 2 year warranty which covers you if you experience any issues with the product's functionality.
- Quick heat up time - This steam mop takes a minimal amount of time to heat up and will be ready to use in 30 seconds.
- Selection of accessories - along with the cleaner you are provided with an impressive selection of accessories that allow you to tackle a range of cleaning tasks.
- Ease of use - this steam mop is easy to assemble consuming a minimal amount of time.
- Tank capacity - the tank is rather small and because of this, it is going to require frequent refilling which is going to disrupt the cleaning process.
Best Steam Mop Reviews Buying Guide
There are several factors that we would advise you to consider before selecting your steam mop.
An uninformed purchase of an ineffective appliance isn’t going to rectify the issue but may end up worsening the appearance of your flooring.
As a rather costly cleaning product, you want to ensure that you invest in a high-quality, worthy option.
You must ensure that your chosen steam mop is compatible with the flooring in your home. While many options are suitable for several surfaces, others are intended for specific types of flooring.
Use of a steam mop on unsealed hard flooring isn't recommended as this can result in potential damage.
Hard Floors that have been exposed to too much steam will begin to lose their glossy appearance. Some cleaners are suitable for use on carpets and upholstery.
Before making your purchase, we would advise you to consult the product specifications which will state the steam mops suitability with different floor types.
Pets and Children
Do you have pets and children? If so, your floors are inevitably going to get dirty rather quickly.
Whether this is from muddy paw prints or mud that your children have brought in on their shoes after playing outdoors, you want a mop that is going to be effective in removing such stains.
If your pet sheds, sweeping the flooring beforehand is advised because in doing so you will remove the pet hair and other dirt particles which will prevent the mop from getting clogged up.
The market offers specific models that are specifically intended for targeting pet messes and you will likely find a unit of this kind to be more effective than a standard model.
Water Tank Capacity
Small water tanks are going to require regular refilling, however, those with a larger capacity can be used for longer before running out.
The downside to a larger tank is that it will take longer to heat up. It is important to consider the size that you require because a smaller tank will be sufficient for covering a smaller surface area, however, if the steam mop is going to be used to cover a large surface you will likely benefit from opting for one with a more generous tank capacity.
As a result, you will not need to stop and refill the tank as regularly. The majority of steam mops have tanks with a 450ml capacity. Also, consider how easy the tank is to remove and refill.
One that is complex to detach from the unit of the steam mop is likely to prove rather problematic and those that are rather bulky may provide you with challenges when attempting to refill it under your tap.
You must also consider the weight of the mop. Those that are heavier are going to be more difficult to maneuver and carry to different areas of your home.
While this may not be a significant issue for some, for those who experience back issues of any kind, a lightweight model is going to be preferable.
If you are going to be using the mop to clean your stairs a lightweight model will be beneficial as it will make the task less tiresome on your behalf.
Consider how easily the steam mop can be stored. One that is rather bulky will present more difficulties when it comes to storage. If you have a small cleaning cupboard a thinner option is going to be beneficial.
As you browse the market, you will find that some options are bulkier than others. It is important to make your choice according to the space that you have available.
Most models can also be locked into an upright position so they aren’t going to fall over when left unattended.
If your mop comes with accessories you will also need to consider how easy they are going to be to store to minimize the possibility of them getting lost.
The Steam Settings
The majority of steam cleaners have variable steam settings which allow you to alter the output of steam according to the severity of the mess.
On some units this may be in the form of a dial and on another it may be a button. If you require the mop for minor marks you may find one setting sufficient.
However, for tougher stains the availability of more settings is helpful.
The durability of the steam mop is important, particularly if you are likely to be using it regularly.
You don't want to be concerned about the build quality and possible damages occurring shortly after purchasing your product.
Of course, some parts will require replacing at some point because they aren't intended to serve the whole lifespan of the mop e.g the cleaning pads and clothes.
Many brands will provide you with spares so that you have more available in preparation for when the existing cleaning pad needs to be replaced.
Those that are made from cheaper, flimsier materials are going to be susceptible to breaking faster.
The Cord Length
The cord length of the cleaner will determine how easy it is to maneuver.
The importance of this factor is going to depend upon the distance between your power sockets and the surface that you need to clean.
A shorter cord is going to be much more restricting when it comes to reaching surfaces at a distance, whereas a lengthy option is going to provide you with much more flexibility and leeway.
The product specifications will state the length of the cord so you can assess whether this is suitable for your needs.
On the whole, steam mops tend to be a rather affordable purchase, of course, there are high-end options that are slightly more costly but there are many affordable options too.
Approaching the market with a budget in mind is preferable as this will provide you with a focus in which you can cater your search towards.
Ensure that your chosen steam mop is compatible with the floor surface that it is going to be used on and incorporates all of the features and settings that you require.
Frequently Asked Questions
What material shouldn't a steam mop be used on?
You should avoid using a steam mop on any surface that can become damaged following contact with heat.
For example, water-based painted surfaces should be avoided along with marble and brick surfaces.
Ensure that you use your product according to its surface compatibility which will be stated in the manufacturer’s specifications.
Does a steam mop clean better?
A steam mop is going to be effective in sanitizing and removing dirt from the floor while ensuring that it remains safe in an environment that is occupied by children and pets.
They can also be effective in removing more stubborn stains. However, there are other mops available that are going to be better at removing dust particles and debris.