Are you tired of your hair getting clogged in your vacuum? Does your vacuum need frequent maintenance to keep it running smoothly?
If you have long hair or have pets that are prone to molting, it is likely that this is a regular problem for you.
Cleaning the house takes enough time in your week as it is, you don’t want to be wasting more time cleaning clogged hair out of your vacuum.
A vacuum for long hair is a game-changer when it comes to preventing this issue, but with an array of vacuums on the market, how can you know which one is the best?
Take a look at our top pick below.
OUR TOP PICK
The Shark APEX AZ1002 DuoClean with Self-Cleaning Brushroll Lift-Away Upright Vacuum is perfect for picking up long human hair, short hair, and pet hair!
This vacuum is designed with noise reduction technology, expertly tuned to reduce noise and soften pitch to ensure that you can clean without disturbing the household.
The SHARK APEX AZ1002 vacuum is designed with active-glide technology allowing you smooth maneuverability on hard floors and carpets while maintaining powerful suction.
- This Shark vacuum comes with different tools for your convenience! It includes a 12" crevice tool, an upholstery tool, and a pet power brush for all of your needs!
- The anti-allergen complete seal technology and a HEPA filter trap dust and allergens inside the vacuum cleaner.
- This deep-cleaning vacuum now cleans itself! The self-cleaning brush roll delivers nonstop hair removal for easy maintenance and convenience.
- A few customers claimed that they had trouble with this vacuum being on the heavier side, making it harder to control.
The Shark AZ2002 Vertex DuoClean PowerFins Upright Vacuum is specifically engineered to pick up more pet hair with no hair wrap.
A PowerFin roller and a soft roller combine on all floors. This continuous cleaning contact works to dig deep into carpets, directly engage floors, and pick up more in every pass
The active glide technology provides smooth maneuverability on hard floors and carpets while maintaining powerful suction, meaning that you get great results every time!
- This vacuum features powerful LED lights on the nozzle to reveal hidden debris around your home, ensuring you get the most thorough clean every time!
- The self-cleaning brush roll is specifically designed for powerful pet hair pickup with no hair wrap, so you don’t have to worry about having your furry friends on the carpet and around the furniture!
- The anti-allergen complete seal technology and a HEPA filter trap 99.9% of dust and allergens inside the vacuum cleaner, making the environment and air cleaner for you to breathe!
- One customer noted that they struggled to interchange attachments on this particular vacuum.
The BISSELL Cleanview Swivel Pet Upright Bagless Vacuum Cleaner is designed with a multi-cyclonic system for extended performance.
This BISSELL vacuum cleaner boasts swivel steering to easily maneuver around furniture and other obstacles for your convenience.
The triple-action brush roll allows you to loosen, lift, and remove embedded dirt and hair with ease, so you don’t have to waste hours of your time unclogging your vacuum.
- This vacuum comes with a bottom, easy empty dirt bin that makes emptying quick and mess-free.
- The BISSELL vacuum includes specialized pet tools, so you know that you’re consistently getting a deep clean!
- Bissell donates up to 10 dollars to the Bissell pet foundation for every pet product purchase!
- A few customers claimed that this vacuum had a tendency to get hot after significant use.
The Dyson Cyclone V10 Animal Lightweight Cordless Stick Vacuum Cleaner is engineered with the suction power, run time, and tools designed to deep clean your whole home!
This vacuum is designed to deep clean your carpet. The powerful suction and a torque drive cleaner head dig deep into the carpet removing ground-in dirt and sucks up any human or pet hair.
Perfectly balanced to clean up high! This vacuum is lightweight and balanced for floor-to-ceiling cleaning, making it the perfect tool for people of all heights.
- Drop-in docking! The Dyson Cyclone V10 Animal vacuum drops into the wall-mounted dock, to recharge and tidily store away until you’re ready to grab and go.
- This vacuum cleaner is versatile! It quickly and easily transforms to a handheld for cleaning on the stairs, in the car, and on the sofa.
- Reaches under low furniture! The low-profile cleaner heads and slim design make it easy to clean low and awkward spaces.
- A couple of customers noted that the battery didn’t last as long as they had hoped.
The Eureka RapidClean Pro Lightweight Cordless Vacuum Cleaner is powered by the latest motor technology, making cleaning convenient and thorough!
The RapidClean Pro's lightweight, cordless design and easy assembly make it convenient and the perfect tool for daily cleaning!
The rechargeable 25.2V lithium-ion battery technology provides excellent power with up to 40 minutes of long-lasting runtime, giving you plenty of cordless cleaning time!
- The dust cup is at the front of the vacuum providing you with more movement, so you can lay the vacuum completely flat to reach under furniture and those trickier places with ease!
- The LED lights lead the way so you can see dust and debris that might otherwise have been missed and make cleaning under furniture much easier.
- The specially designed cyclone filtration system separates and traps dust, debris, and large particles for a thorough clean every time!
- One customer noted that the handle of this specific vacuum cleaner was heavy and hard to navigate whilst cleaning.
Best Vacuums for Long Hair Buying Guide
There are a few things to take into account when purchasing a vacuum, but it mainly comes down to the durability, the suction & airflow, and the brush roll.
It is highly likely that you’re going to be using your vacuum on a regular if not daily basis, so you need one that is going to withstand the test of time. Don’t be persuaded into buying a lower-quality vacuum that isn’t going to be powerful enough to sufficiently suck the long hair up!
You’ll end up becoming frustrated if you’re wasting precious time vacuuming the same sections of carpet repeatedly. Save yourself the time and the hassle by investing in a good-quality vacuum that has all the capabilities that you need.
Check out the factors below before making your purchase.
An important factor to consider when purchasing a vacuum for long hair is how durable it is. A vacuum is an investment that you’re likely to be using on a regular if not daily basis to ensure that your house is always looking fresh and clean.
If you’re unsure of whether a product looks durable from the product photographs, then your best bet is to check the product reviews section.
The product reviews section is always a good indicator of how customers have found the product in question and will reveal any problems that may have occurred with the vacuum or the customer service of the company itself.
Although faults happen that are often out of a company’s control, how they rectify this in their customer service will give you an overall idea of the experience you can expect from the product should something go wrong.
To avoid disappointment when purchasing a product, always do your own research by having a browse at the product reviews and make sure you’re happy with the feedback before going ahead with your purchase.
Suction & Airflow
The suction and airflow are incredibly important factors to take into consideration when purchasing a vacuum, as they will essentially determine how effective the vacuum is going to be at sucking up long hair that become stuck in carpet fibers.
The suction and airflow are essential for the smooth operation of a vacuum. You’ll want a strong airflow, as it works to pull the dirt and debris through the passage/hose and then deposits them into a bag or a cup.
A strong suction will also prevent the vacuum from becoming blocked and will minimize the risk of you having to interrupt your cleaning to pull the hair out manually.
You should always make sure that you’re happy with the suction and airflow of a vacuum before clicking ‘buy’.
The brush roll or brush roller is something important to look for when choosing a vacuum for long hair. The brush roll’s purpose is to loosen any embedded hair, dirt, and dust that builds up in your carpet.
However, whether a brush roll is necessary will depend on the type of floor that you have. If you have wood flooring, despite them being incredibly useful, you might find it more convenient to purchase a vacuum without a brush roll.
However, generally speaking, a brush roll is prone to nasty tangles with long hair or thread fibers, which can be a hassle and time-consuming to remove. After all, that’s why you have a vacuum to do the hard work for you.
To prevent this from happening, you should choose a brush roll that is designed to combat hair wrapping.
You’ll want to look for words such as tangle-free brush roll. A tangle-free brush roll design prevents long hair from wrapping around the roller and can help to prevent blockages from occurring.
Tools & Attachments
Something else that you should take into account when purchasing a vacuum for long hair is the tools and attachments that it comes with.
As long hair has the tendency to spread everywhere, having the right attachment is important as it will not only help you keep the hairs at bay, but will also make your life easier in terms of general maintenance.
Typically speaking, attachments also enhance the vacuum for cleaning many different surfaces. Some vacuums come with specific attachments for pet hair which are incredibly helpful to ensure that you get the most thorough clean.
You know your own personal needs and preferences than anyone, so make sure that you choose a vacuum that comes with the tools to suit your cleaning needs.
Type of Vacuum
You’ll also need to take into consideration the type of vacuum that you want. There is a vast array of vacuums on the market, so choosing which type will help you narrow the search significantly. Listed below are a few types of vacuums in more detail:
Upright vacuum - Upright vacuum cleaners are one of the most common household vacuums and are ideal for large, carpeted areas of the house. Typically speaking, they use a motor-driven beater brush that loosens and removes dirt through suction.
The majority of upright vacuums come with a variety of different attachments to make your life easier when you’re cleaning in different situations, such as under furniture or when you’re vacuuming pet hair.
Sweeper or stick vacuum - Stick or sweeper vacuums are the middle ground between an upright and a handheld vacuum. Lightweight and battery-powered, they offer the convenience of a handheld but feature the upright construction of a traditional vacuum, making them better for cleaning up spills on hardwood floors.
Handheld vacuum - Handheld vacuums can clean areas that are too large for your upright. The fact they are compact and cordless makes them incredibly convenient to have around the house for those smaller spills!
Pet vacuum - A pet vacuum is designed to collect pet hair and minimize pet odors in your home. The difference between a pet vacuum and a traditional vacuum is their ability to easily detach and clean the ‘beater brush’ (the rotating brush under the vacuum that cleans the carpet) that commonly gets jammed when faced with large amounts of pet hair.
Whichever vacuum you opt for, make sure that you choose the right one for your lifestyle. A vacuum is designed to make your cleaning routine easier, not more challenging, so make sure that you pick one that aligns with that!
What is the best vacuum for picking up long hair?
The answer to this question is subject to change depending on the individual and the type of flooring that you have! However, there are a few features that you should look for.
If you have carpet, a brush roll is an important component to look for when choosing the best vacuum for picking up long hair.
Interchangeable tools and attachments are also helpful to clean in a variety of different places and situations, so this is also something to keep an eye out for.
Lastly, you’ll need a vacuum with strong suction and airflow to ensure that you are effectively cleaning your home.
If you’re used to cleaning hair off the ground regularly, you want to make sure that your vacuum is doing the best job that it can to prevent it from being a thankless task.